Through the Dravidian Heartland
India’s deep south is a cultural kaleidoscope in its own right. This route will take you into the heart of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, which boast of a long and glorious history, replete with huge empires, great kings, spectacular architectural wonders, spellbinding art, ancient traditions thriving in tandem with modern technology. The Dravidian land does indeed hold a very special place in the cultural and historical landscape of India.
Meant as an initiation into the incredible diversity of India, Kamalan’s Ready-To-Travel programs are classic journeys that you can purchase off the shelf and get packing! Born out of a synchronous blend of our knowledge of the country and 30 years of travel experience, these journeys have been curated with passion and care.
Chennai (1N) → Mahabalipuram (2N) → Pondicherry (1N) → Thanjavur (1N)
→ Chettinad (2N) → Madurai (1N) → Periyar (1N) → Kumarakom (1N)
→ Marari (2N) → Kochi (2N)
This path begins in the cultural capital of south India and the capital of Tamil Nadu, Chennai and heads to Mahabalipuram, the once vibrant ancient Pallava port from the sixth century. From Mahabalipuram it takes a detour into the French colonial quarters of Pondicherry from where it will emerge to find its way back in time to the 11th and 12th centuries in and around Thanjavur. The road then leads to the heart of Chettinad in Karaikkudi and proceeds to the ancient Tamil capital and the heartland of Tamil culture, Madurai. From Madurai, the journey will take you, to the serene tropical paradise in Periyar in the Western Ghats. It then emerges from the mountains in the historic metropolis of Kochi from where it traces its way back into the legendary backwaters in Kumarakom and then on the pristine beaches of Mararikulam. It will end back in Kochi.
For a detailed itinerary, please check out our brochure.
- Discover Chennai’s streets, the city’s story, its culture, its food with an experienced, knowledgeable guide
- Let a learned history enthusiast take you on a journey back in time as you walk through the grand erstwhile French colonial districts of Pondicherry
- Adventure seekers can take a private lesson in surfing in Pondicherry, a paradise for surfers
- Watch the process of making one of the most iconic Indian musical instruments, the long necked lyre called veena
- Interact with an experienced chef and cook yourself a delicious Chettinad meal
- Take a safari into the Periyar National Park
Starting from USD 1445 per person
15 days, 14 nights
Best Time to Travel
Ideally September to March, but can be done all year round
Art and crafts, history, nature, adventure, UNESCO
This journey is available in Luxury, Mid-range and Budget options